Vets have warned against feeding pooches salted and fattened Christmas scraps.
Over a third of pooches gobble up leftovers from our party cravings, and 47% are allowed to take away leftovers.
But TV vet Dr Marc Abraham warned the owners, “Traditional party foods like tarts, raisins, turkey stuffing and Christmas pudding can make your pet seriously ill.
“Or worse yet, they can prove fatal. Homeowners need to be vigilant throughout the holiday season, especially since pets can easily sniff out gifts that contain dangerous foods, like chocolate.
He warned that no one wanted their Christmas and New Year’s fun to be ruined by a trip to the emergency vet.
Dr Marc added: “If you think your pet has swallowed something that they shouldn’t have, please call your vet immediately, no matter what time of day or night.
“It is also important to politely ask all visiting guests, including children, to refrain from feeding your pets anything.
“Additional foods, such as leftovers or treats given to your pet by someone other than yourself, can increase the risk of painful pancreatitis, vomiting and diarrhea. “
The news comes after a couple warned against leaving pies after their ugly Labrador spent Christmas with an emergency vet after eating five.
Paul, 49, and Debbie Walker, 47, left home to buy tin foil for their turkey when dog Archie devoured popular festive snacks from the kitchen counter.
But raisins and currants are very toxic to dogs, and even a handful can cause life-threatening poisoning and organ failure.
Join our brand new TeamDogs partner website today!
This is a place where you can share a photo of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your dog tips.
Stay up to date with all the latest news from The Daily Star by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.
Emergency vet for Vets Now Dave Hollinshead said: “Our vets and vet nurses treated dozens of dogs last year that had eaten chopped pies left for Santa Claus and we expect this to happen. be similar this year.
“That’s why it’s important to raise awareness that the raisins in tarts can be toxic to dogs.
“If your dog gets hold of a chopped pie, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, or anything else that contains raisins and grapes, don’t delay getting them checked out by a vet. “