The rustle of a chocolate wrapper or the sound of a box of baby pies opening might just cause your dog to rush to your side, begging to join in the festive feast.
As tempting as it may be to give in to those dismal eyes gazing longingly at the Christmas treats in your lap, it’s not a good idea to share the treats that we humans love to indulge in this time of year. ‘year.
Veterinarians are warning pet owners to avoid giving their dogs popular human treats, fearing they may be toxic to dogs.
Click here for more Christmas news
The British Veterinary Association (BVA) is warning pet owners to keep chocolate, tarts, Christmas pudding and Christmas decorations out of the reach of pets to avoid emergency vet visits, writes Birmingham Live.
The BVA has highlighted the dangers of certain party foods and decorative items, such as raisins and dried fruits, chocolate, xylitol in sugar-free products, onion, garlic, mistletoe and Holly.
It’s not just dogs at risk – cats shouldn’t eat it either.
Chocolate is the most common danger in dogs that leads to Christmas vet visits.
Cats are more likely to need veterinary treatment to ingest inedible items like seasonal plants and antifreeze, according to the BVA.
A survey conducted by the association last year showed that more than eight in ten pet vets in Britain saw at least one case of toxic ingestion over Christmas.
Some 94% of vets said they saw at least one case of chocolate poisoning in dogs that year, followed by cases involving raisins or raisins and xylitol.
Seasonal plants like lilies, mistletoe, poinsettias and holly were the main culprits for cats, followed closely by cases of antifreeze poisoning.
Vets have also found ingestion of foreign objects, such as Christmas decorations and small toy parts.
BVA President Justine Shotton said: “I have worked a lot in emergency practice and have seen many preventable cases involving toxic festive risks over the years, especially those involving dogs with severe symptoms. chocolates and puddings or pies containing raisins.
“An owner once brought a Labrador in to be sick after eating tarts, went home after the treatment, only to come back to the office immediately because his other dog had eaten the rest of the box in the meantime!
“It really doesn’t take very long for our curious animals to sniff chocolates left under the tree or in advent calendars, swallow a chopped pie when their heads are turned or polish puddings left unattended on the counter. food.
“It can have serious consequences for the health of our pets and can lead to expensive emergency care, including surgery if they have ingested items like Christmas baubles or garlands.
“My advice to owners is to keep all edible treats and decorations safely out of the reach of curious noses and keep pets on their normal diet, avoiding giving them human food treats. whether they have eaten something they shouldn’t, see your vet immediately as this will dramatically improve the prognosis. “
For more information on pets and poisons, download the free Animal Welfare Foundation “Pets and Poisons” leaflet.
Click here to get Hull headlines delivered straight to your inbox.