Hugo’s owner, six, went to the store to find on her return all the missing treats and wrappers strewn on the floor of their home in Plymouth, Devon. The Staffie was rushed to the town’s PDSA pet hospital where vets made the decision to operate, as chocolate can be fatal to dogs with foil being an added danger .
Owner Amie said the PDSA treatment was a “Christmas miracle” for Hugo, adding: “I had only been to the stores briefly and came back to find torn packages and pieces of foil everywhere. on the floor, without chocolate.
“At first Hugo seemed to be fine, but I felt badly worried when he started to vomit blood. He then had a seizure which was terrifying, so I immediately called PDSA.”
Once at the hospital, run by the veterinary association, Hugo was assessed, sedated and underwent an x-ray which revealed his stomach was full of foil, requiring surgery to remove it.
PDSA veterinarian nurse Donna Southwould said: “Hugo was kept overnight after his major surgery. He needed an intravenous drip, medication and intensive nursing care to help him recover.
“He was very lucky and could have died if he hadn’t been treated in time. Although he is not yet fully out of the woods, luckily Hugo is now at home in strict rest and on the job. road to recovery. “
Advising owners to be aware of the dangers of festive pet treats, Donna added, “Many of us have treats, candies and chocolates galore around the house and although the holiday season can. To be a good time for indulgence, it is important to remember that some of these foods are very harmful to our pets.
“Foods like chocolate, tarts, onions, raisins, raisins, some nuts, sage and onion stuffing, and Christmas cake can all be harmful and should be kept out of reach of people. paws.
“Instead of extra food, why not try giving your pets some extra play time this Christmas?”
LEARN MORE ABOUT MINISTERS MAKING NEW COVID RESTRICTIONS ON MONDAY
He warned that this holiday season could be more dangerous than ever for pets.
In its PAW 2021 report, the researchers found that among owners who told PDSA that their pets were overweight, 29% admitted to giving in when their pet begged for food, and 19% said they were overweight. ‘they liked to give their pets extra treats.
However, for an average sized dog weighing around 20kg, a single serving of turkey is the calorie equivalent of a person eating a large slice of chocolate cake.
Earlier this month, Ghost, a soft-toothed four-month-old Doberman puppy, also needed life-saving treatment after tweaking an entire advent calendar.
Owner Erin of Croydon said Ghost was at home with her sister when she found the Advent calendar torn to pieces and all 24 chocolates gone.
Erin took the poor puppy to the charity’s Croydon PDSA Pet Hospital, where he received treatment to safely make him sick.
He was then given medication to prevent his body from absorbing the remaining deadly toxins.
It is advisable for all those who wish to offer a treat to their cat or their dog this Christmas to offer a small slice of white meat without the skin or the bones.
The PDSA says boiled vegetables without sauce should be fine as well, but one should keep in mind how much their normal food is given that day to make sure they don’t pile up on the pounds.